What is a Dental Implant?
- A dental implant (also known as an endosseous implant or fixture) is a surgical component that interfaces with the bone of the jaw or skull to support a dental prosthesis such as a crown, bridge, denture, facial prosthesis or to act as an orthodontic anchor.
- Basically, it is a replacement for the missing root or roots of a tooth. Like tooth roots, our dental implants are secured in the jawbone and are not visible once surgically placed.
- They are used to secure crowns, bridgework or dentures. They offer a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
- Our dental implants are made of titanium, a lightweight, strong and biocompatible (meaning it is not rejected by the body) metal, commonly used for its high success rate.
How Dental Implants are done?
- The first step we take is to proceed with a general diagnosis of your mouth, so we can make better decisions of the treatment to follow. We take computerized tomographies and panoramic x-rays of our patients before the surgery, so we can achieve precision and natural results.
- Then we proceed to give you the possible treatments and procedures according to the result you want to accomplish and also our suggestions to ensure your dental health and final aesthetics.
- Then, dental implants are surgically placed in both, the upper and lower jaws, whereas needed.
- The duration of each surgery may depend of the condition and needs of each patient, but usually it can lasts around 45 minutes per implant. After it you can go back home and rest.
- We will provide with you with antibiotics, analgesics and inflammation reducers and a medicated oral rinse to help the gum heal.
- After the surgery, the dental implant requires a time lapse of 6 up to 8 months to fuse with the bone, this is known as Osseo Integration. This is crucial in the process because it is necessary in order to avoid a body rejection to the implant.
- Once the dental implant is integrated and secured to the bone the patient will come back to Costa Rica and we will place the crown on the implant.
What are the advantages of Dental Implants?
• Improves the appearance: dental implants look and feel like natural teeth.
• Improves speech: loose or poor-fitting dentures are uncomfortable and tend to slip, causing you to mumble words. Crowns and dentures placed on top are fixed to the implant so you can talk with full confidence that the dentures will not slip out.
• Improves comfort: implants are stable. They eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
• You can eat anything: dental implants rehabilitation does not limit the food you can eat as removable dentures and you can eat anything once they are fully placed.
• Improves self-esteem: A dental implant helps to recover the once lost youth smile to make you feel better about yourself.
• Improves oral health: to make bridges, neighboring teeth of the absent tooth or teeth are reduced. To place an implant does not require altering the surrounding teeth. Maintenance and hygiene of implants is easier than bridges, improving the oral health.
• Durability: in good care, dental implants can last a lifetime. They are designed to fuse with bone (Osseo Integrate) so that they become permanent.
• Convenience: loosing dentures or having to place them in water on the nightstand, it is all forgotten with dental implants. There is no need for adhesives either.
Tell me about dental implants at Prisma Dental.
High quality at low cost. Expensive procedures such as dental implants have major savings at our clinic. Prisma Dental is a pioneer of dental implants in Costa Rica. Our surgeons are US and internationally trained with more than 20 years of experience in implant placement and rehabilitation as well as all treatments related to implants, such as bone grafts, sinus lifts, provisionalizing implants and all the kinds of final rehabilitations like dentures, All-on-4 and All-on-6, crowns and bridges implants-supported. We provide outstanding care to our patients with state-of-the-art technology and materials.
Dental implant costs are around the third of the price from US, not to mention the convenience. Costa Rica is just a few flying hours away from major US cities. Combine your dental needs with vacation trip.