What is a Sinus Lift?
The sinus lift is a maxillofacial surgery. This procedure adds bone to your upper jaw area. The bone is added between your jaw and the maxillary sinuses (they are at each side of your nose), to achieve this the sinuses membrane needs to be lifted (moved upward) so the dental implants can be placed.
This can be due to the following conditions:
People who have lost teeth in their upper jaw, particularly the back teeth, or molars, do not have enough bone for implants to be placed.
When gum disease caused bone loss.
Another reason to bone loss is tooth loss. Once the tooth is gone, the bone begins to be absorbed back into the body. If the tooth wasn’t replaced on time and it has been missing for a long time, there will not be enough bone left to place implants.
How a sinus lift is done?
- We take computerized tomographies and panoramic x-rays before the surgery, so we can precisely measure the height and width of the existing bone and to evaluate the health of the sinus.
- Also in this stage of your sinus lift we can determine whether you need just a minimal lift and if you will require having some teeth removed (so we can make a provisional replacement).
- At the moment of the surgery, we proceed to perform a cut into the gum tissue where your back teeth are to expose the bone. After that a small, oval window is opened in the bone.
- Then, we pack granules of bone-graft material into the oval window. Once the bone is in place, the tissue is closed with stitches.
- To make the healing time less uncomfortable and painful, we will provide you with antibiotics, analgesics, inflammation reducers and also antimicrobial mouthwash to help prevent infections.
- In case you had some teeth removed, we can place temporary ones on the same day of the surgery.
- Once the surgery is completed, a time lapse of 6 up to 8 months will be required for the grafted material to mesh with your bone.
- When the bony material is hard enough and integrated with your jaw, you will come back to Prisma Dental so we can continue with the second part of the treatment and we will proceed with the dental implants.
Our implant expert, Dr. Josef Cordero has placed over 5000 dental implants successfully. Our certified technicians in the Prisma Dental Lab prepare the denture, which is put in place on the same day as the implant surgery. Patients leave with great satisfaction of new teeth that they can use to smile, talk and eat with full confidence. We would like you to know more about our dentists.